Monday, March 4, 2019

Almost A Year

Next month we will have been in our house a year already.
Does time go faster as we age?  
I am beginning to believe so.
And yet, the year has been full of life.
When I think of all that was packed into this past year
I wonder how it could have possibly happened in that short period of time!


As you know, we moved into an unfinished house
and it probably will come as no surprise to you to find out
that it is still unfinished!
BUT we are making progress.
Actually, Warren got a lot more accomplished this year on the house 
than what I had hoped for.
He always amazes me.

This was soon after moving in

I will share with you a couple of projects that were completed.

When the house was being built I had them frame in three built in "bookshelf-cabinet" areas.
One for our entertainment area (TV and components)
One for a bookshelf with closed shelves for photo albums and scrapbooks and
One for a china hutch..

My idea behind this is that I wanted a simple European farmhouse look.  
Plaster walls, little embellishment,  matt finishes on the wood with a look of patina from use...

With that being said, we couldn't stay on budget and have an authentic looking European farmhouse!
So...what's a person to do?  
Add the word "modern".  
"Modern European Farmhouse"!!!

As much as I would have loved the thick exterior stone walls with a huge stone fireplace, 
real plaster walls, hand scrapped beams....and the list goes on.... 
that just wasn't going to happen.
 And that's okay.
I am loving our home's "modern" touches.


Here you can see the fireplace unfinished too.

We decided we didn't want a wood stove or propane fireplace
but I still wanted a "fireplace".
We decided on a lineal electric built-in.
We, on the whole, are very happy with it 
BUT I will point out that when we went to install it
I was beyond disappointed for this reason:

For months I had researched electric fireplaces 
because I didn't want one that was anymore fake than it had to be :)
I also wanted as wide a one as I could fit in the space 
(and Warren would agree to)
We decided on the 60" Touchstone.
Well, people, the only difference between the 50" and the 60" 
is that the black glass surround is 5" bigger on each side of the 60"!!
That's right, for $150 more I got more black glass!
The flame viewing area is the same.
My bad.  
I should have read more carefully.
Otherwise, we are happy with the looks of the flame and the fireplace itself.
It took me a while to get over it though....


Here a solid slab of absolute black honed granite has been put around the fireplace. 
We had professionals do that!
AND a bigger TV!


Fnished for now!
I am sorry this picture is so light.  Too much light coming through the windows.


I added wallpaper in black and white behind the TV so it wasn't so stark 
next to the tv and to add some pattern.
Warren made a simple (he said the most simple I had ever had him make!)
waterfall, knotty alder mantle. 
The doors in the built in cabinet are made out of real wood bead board that came out of my aunt and uncles old house.  (that they had actually gotten it out of another old building in town years ago)
I love that!
The wood is a knotty pine which I limed and waxed.
The knobs are from Anthropologie.



This bookshelf is on the other side of the living room.
All though these doors are smaller you can see them a little bit better here.



This is (of course) the dining room built-in.
I had the framer leave off the sheetrock in the back because 
one of my design customers had given me
the old bead board that had come off of the ceiling in one of her old porches.
(their home was a generational farmhouse)
It was dirty white from age and when I started sanding it to clean it up a bit
the beautiful green started coming through.
I love the color and I love knowing where it came from.

I had these old European grain sacks that Kellie and I had found 
while we were out and about one day.
I decided this was the perfect place to use one rather than have wood doors.
It's a good thing because there wasn't enough of the wood to make these doors too!

Anyway, these are really just a few of the projects we have been doing around here.
I think I hesitate to post because I am so bad with the camera
and besides,
I would rather just have you come visit!

3 comments:

  1. Sheri-
    I have loved this little peek into your new home. I can't wait to come visit sometime soon, I hope, and really absorb what all you have done. I love your style of decorating and your home looks beautiful!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Connie! I would love to have you come - let me know when you are coming to our area!

      Delete
  2. Sheri,
    I recently saw you have this house for sale and while thinking about how much I love it and need it and trying to convince my husband we have to buy it (no luck)… I thought “who is the owner, he/she has to be a professional, I need to find them” and here I am. I found your blog. Sorry if it comes off a little creepy lol
    So I love you style and I need your help! Do you have a design service?
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete